Pages

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Taking better pictures of children

One thing that my mentor, Howard Berg, told me when we were shooting weddings was "Get out of the six foot bubble."  What he meant by that was, change your perspective.  Kids are a prime example of where that works great (although it should really be incorporated in all subjects).  Since the majority of adults are taller than kids, most pictures tend to be shot at a downward angle.  While this is easier for the person taking the picture it isn't necessarily the best angle to capture your subject.  Kids see the world from a lower viewpoint and getting down on their level can bring new interest to your photos.  Another added benefit for the child that is a bit shy is you aren't towering over them.  This lesson was learned in my three years as a children's studio photographer.  Aside from the fact that I'm just a generally terrifying individual, the fact that I'm 6'3'' tends to make me a bit intimidating to smaller kids.  Removing the height element tends to make them get used to you faster.





No comments:

Post a Comment